Friday, March 20, 2009

Props to Obama

For ending Justice Department raids on medical marijuana distributors:

Obama Administration to Stop Raids on Medical Marijuana Dispensers

By DAVID JOHNSTON and NEIL A. LEWIS
Published: March 18, 2009

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Wednesday outlined a shift in the enforcement of federal drug laws, saying the administration would effectively end the Bush administration’s frequent raids on distributors of medical marijuana.


Well it's about time someone did this. I have many disagreements with our president, but in this I can only cheer. Props to you, Mr. President.

Now, it isn't perfect:

Speaking with reporters, Mr. Holder provided few specifics but said the Justice Department’s enforcement policy would now be restricted to traffickers who falsely masqueraded as medical dispensaries and “use medical marijuana laws as a shield.”


Now that's a door wide enough so they can call anything anything, but it's a start, and when someone starts doing a good thing, I will cheer it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark my words: This is step 1 in the process of Federal legalization of Marijuana, and it will be done simply to rake in more Tax dollars in order to feed the coffers of the Fed.

Fishermage said...

You make a very good point. However, I am okay with that.

I will of course be against the excessive taxation on marijuana as I am against all excessive taxation.

However, anytime the government removes a law that violates the principle of self-ownership is a good thing in my book.

Anonymous said...

Rather like "Damned if you do" etc in my view.

I too would champion the legalization. I'd even be OK with State Taxation. But it's the Federal level where I start having the issues.

Fishermage said...

Yes I see what you mean. Such things obviously do belong to the states.