Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Greatest Game I Ever Played



This is of course about Star Wars Galaxies, and the demise of what was literally the greatest game I ever played.

Here is the official post from the forum boards.


Here is an interview with John Smedley about it.

A great quote from Smedley about what he would have done differently:

Here's what I would have done differently. I would have made sure the ground and space games were launched all at once. I would have given the game another year to develop and really polish it quite a bit. I think we created one of the most unique and amazing games ever created in the MMO space. It is the sandbox game. Nothing else even comes close to what we did there. I would have really taken our time and polished combat right so we never had to do the NGE. At some point the only thing to do is acknowledge the mistakes you made. But we can also look and fix them in the future. Since then, the projects that the team has worked on -- like the Chronicles system -- it's pretty amazing. I want to make sure that we really learn from that stuff. And I think we have. We're actually starting to put some of that stuff into our other games.


Raph Koster had a few things to say about it.

And as for me, this is what I posted on my old posting grounds:

Thank You for being part of the journey, every developer, player, community servce rep, understanding spouse, EVERYONE who ever had anything to do with this amazing thing we had here.

Love you all and May the Force Be With You.

No comments: