Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Republican Convention, Night One

Well, really night two, but the former night one was preempted by Gustav.

Laura, as always, was the nice lady she is; Bush was boring.

Fred Thompson, who was my favorite of the Republican candidates during the primaries, gave a better speech than I heard all through the primary season. Pity he didn't have that gusto while he was running for the nomination.

Joe Lieberman, scourge of all gamers, most hated politician of nerds everywhere, gave a fairly compelling argument for Democrats and independents to cross over. He also reminded me of all the things I DON'T like about McCain, McCain-Feingold in particular, but still, I think it was a decent speech.

He did however show quite nicely how McCain actually has a record of crossing over and bringing both parties together vs Obama, who has zero record of that. He showed how much more of a record of reform McCain has, vs Obama, who has none.

That's not going to make me like him or McCain better; they are both still big government guys -- but the speech itself wasn't bad for what he wanted to do.

All in all, not a bad night for the Republicans.

No comments: