Sunday, March 8, 2020

International Women's Day: My First Cap Cover Was Drawn by a Woman, Marie Severin

"There is nothing sacred about the status quo...and there never will be!"
Cap (from the comic)



Long ago and far away, this was the first comic book I ever read -- or at least it's the first cover I remember. I saw it in the spinner rack and grabbed it, and my dad spoke the lines I'll never forget, "That's Captain America. He fights for freedom." I vowed then and there with the zeal of an eight-year-old that I would fight for freedom, too.

What's really extra cool about this cover -- and why I'm sharing it today on International Women's Day --  is that it was drawn by a woman: Marie Severin. An amazing woman, her artistic, production, and management career spanned the entire Silver Age of comics. Read more about Marie here and here.

You can read about Captain America #130 here.





Marie Severin

No comments: